[Xastir] re the problem that I asked about earlier

Phil phillor9 at gmail.com
Mon Jun 1 22:06:47 PDT 2020

On 2/6/20 10:02 am, Tom Russo wrote:

Thank you Tom,

> If you're running from a package, that stuff is usually in /usr/share/xastir
> instead, and getting this message means you probably have an xastir.cnf
> file that is left over from a source-built install (that is, it contains
> configuration for Xastir to look in /usr/local/share/xastir, but the package
> didn't install stuff there).

I did install from the Ubuntu 20.04 repository, but I did attempt to
build xastir 2.08 but it failed because of a missing dependency. I had
build this version under Kubuntu 19.10 in the past successfully but
rather than stuff around I installed the 20.04 package instead. The
package installer offered me two choices, "yes" and "no". It read
something like "if you don't know what you're doing then select the
default option" which is "yes". Xastir installed but would only run as
root so I uninstalled and this time selected "no" and all was fine until
I rebooted the next day.

Can you see a likely source of a problem there?

my ./xastir.cnf includes the following:

AUTO_MAP_DIR:/usr/local/share/xastir/maps
ALERT_MAP_DIR:/usr/local/share/xastir/Counties
SELECTED_MAP_DIR:/usr/local/share/xastir/maps
SELECTED_MAP_DATA:config/selected_maps.sys
MAP_INDEX_DATA:config/map_index.sys
SYMBOLS_DIR:/usr/local/share/xastir/symbols
SOUND_DIR:/usr/local/share/xastir/sounds
GROUP_DATA_FILE:config/groups
GNIS_FILE:/usr/local/share/xastir/GNIS/WA.gnis
GEOCODE_FILE:/usr/local/share/xastir/GNIS/geocode
SHOW_FIND_TARGET:1

However, there isn't a /usr/local/share/xastir directory, only
/usr/local/share. If I rename my .xastir.cnf file then xastir will start
and will rebuild the same .xastir.cnf file.

There is a conflict there. I thought about purging the xastir package
rather than uninstalling it but I don't think that explains the conflict
in my ./xastir.cnf file.

What do you suggest now?

By the way, I'm not interested in festival.

--

Regards,
Phil