[Xastir] re the problem that I asked about earlier

vk2tv vk2tv at exemail.com.au
Mon Jun 1 22:50:52 PDT 2020

Phil,

Since you installed from a package you'll likely find xastir in
/usr/share/xastir. The "Debian" way is for packages to install in
/somewhere/somewhere/somewhere but programs compiled on the machine go
into /somewhere/local/somewhere/somewhere.

Unless it's changed very recently it's normal for xastir to be started
as root to provide access to kernel AX25 networking. The traditional fix
has been to change permissions for xastir

  su -c "chmod u+s /usr/local/bin/xastir"

If you installed from a package drop "local" and use

su -c "chmod u+s /usr/bin/xastir"

Other methods have been suggested but I've not gone down an alternative
path.

Ray
vk2tv