[Xastir] DBFAWK - Doin' it wrong?

Chip Griffin n1mie at mac.com
Sun Mar 29 07:52:01 PDT 2020

It can’t be differences in monitor. We’re not talking minor color variances. We’re talking radical differences. We’re talking items showing up at zoom levels that they shouldn’t be showing. I copied the maps from computer 1 to computer 2. I copied the DBFAWK files from computer 1 to computer 2. They should match perfectly. Clearly there is something I’m overlooking.

> On Mar 23, 2020, at 23:20, Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2020 at 08:28:22PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <n1mie at mac.com <mailto:n1mie at mac.com>> flavor, containing:
>> So I have a set of DBFAWK files I tweaked awhile back to the way I prefer. I have that running on a Raspberry Pi in my kitchen displaying on a monitor (small TV) using a camera to turn off the screensaver whenever someone walks into the area. This way you only have to look and not directly interact with the RPi to see Xastir.
>>
>> This evening I setup a new RPi with a small LCD that I???d like to use to monitor under different circumstances. I ran through the steps to install Xastir. Then I started it up and verified operation. Then I shut it down and copied (SCP) the Tigermaps from RPi4 (the one in the kitchen). I also copied the DBFAWK files (SCP). Then I copied them into shared/xastir/maps and /shared/xastir/config respectively. I was able to restart and see the maps when selected, but the results of the DBFAWK are not equal. The colors are somewhat similar but the lines and labels in particular stand out as being different. [I have some screenshots but my recollection is that they are either not possible or not welcome on the list.]
>>
>> RPi4 (kitchen) is running Xastir 2.1.5 (ee0492b9)
>> RPi2 (LCD) is running Xastir 2.1.5 (767104cb)
>>
>> Any thoughts of why the mismatch? I haven???t done an upgrade on the RPi4 in a little while, if I do am I going to get something I don???t want even if I repopulate the DBFAWKs I???ve saved in a separate folder?
>
> Only thing I can guess at is a difference in the monitor.  There should not have
> been any changes in Xastir or differences between the Pis that would account
> for this.  It would be reasonable for a small TV monitor to look different
> than an LCD.
>
> Have you tried swapping the two monitors to see if the strange colors move
> with monitor?
>
> The list strips off attachments, so screen shots can't be posted.  You could
> always put them up on some web site and provide a URL.  You could also post
> them to an issue on github and then link to that here for the email discussion.
>
> --
> Tom Russo    KM5VY
> Tijeras, NM
>
> echo "prpv_a'rfg_cnf_har_cvcr" | sed -e 's/_/ /g' | tr [a-m][n-z] [n-z][a-m]

    Chip