[Xastir] error can't open display :1.0

Jason KG4WSV kg4wsv at gmail.com
Fri May 1 12:57:26 PDT 2020

This isn't an xastir issue, it's an X windows issue. it's a bit difficult
to say more without knowing more about your environment.

by default, display :0 is the first (and only) graphics display attached to
the computer. (:0.0 would indicate the first monitor that's part of the
first display; this is largely archaic as now all monitors are usually
grouped into a single meta-monitor by the GPU).

so :1.0 indicates you're on the second system display.

Since you mention VNC, are you connecting to the console (e.g. remotely
controlling the actual physical console), or are you running a virtual
frame buffer that only VNC can see? the :1.0 leads me to suspect the latter.

another display number that's common is :10 or :10.0; I see this when I am
using ssh to securely forward my X11 connection.

Can you tell us a bit more about your configuration, including any scripts
you may be using to run xastir?

-Jason
kg4wsv

On Fri, May 1, 2020 at 2:43 PM mucifirewall_gmail <mucifirewall at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi everyone ...... trying to use my ham pc remotely via vnc I ran into a
> problem starting xastir.
> While locally it works well (apart from the festival section that does
> not start the server) remotely if I start it it gives me the error in
> object.
> Has anyone solved this problem by chance ??
> Thanks in advance
>
> 73 de Francesco IU4DTL

-Jason
kg4wsv