[Xastir] How to get CWOP weather on APRS network

Ray aprs at exemail.com.au
Sat Oct 31 17:18:32 PDT 2020

On 1/11/20 10:31 am, Liz wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Oct 2020 08:26:41 -0500
> Steven Morrison <morrison.monahans at sbcglobal.net> wrote:
>
>> Can you explain how you do this?
>>
>> On 10/30/2020 4:17 AM, Liz wrote:

>>> I'm still doing that. When I'm driving and see my weather displayed
>>> I know that everything in the chain is working, and that includes my
>>> internet ;)
>>>
>>> Liz
>>> VK2XSE
> OK
> I filter the incoming available data from APRS-IS for local data.
> weeWx has sent out my data to APRS-IS, and I collect it along with
> other items of local interest (bushfires, storm warnings) and broadcast
> them all. This also collects packets from HF APRS users in the
> district, or those sending data to APRS-IS through the phone system.
> There is a weeWx extension which is able to produce a wxnow.txt file.
> Because my weeWx and APRS are on different hardware it became too much
> effort to sort out as the existing system worked most of the time.
>
> Liz
> VK2XSE

Be aware that the weewx extension cwxn-0.4 provides for three digits of
humidity while the APRS Spec calls for just two digits. It's easy enough
to change the Python script (/usr/share/weewx/users/cwxn.py at around
line 135) to change the 3 for a 2. If used without that change for APRS
the last digit for humidity is chopped off so, e.g., 020% appears on
APRS as 02%. For APRS 100% appears as 00% with the correct (for APRS)
two digit format.

        if data['outHumidity'] < 0 or 100 <= data['outHumidity']:
             data['outHumidity'] = 0
         fields.append("h%03d" % int(data['outHumidity'])) <<<<<< The 3
in this line should be replaced with a 2 as per the following line.

         fields.append("h%02d" % int(data['outHumidity']))"

I use rsync to get wxnow.txt from the wx server to feed to xastir using
the xastir_udp_client. I do it that way because some data I receive is
in metric format and first needs to be massaged to meet the APRS spec.
My combination shell script and perl isn't very pretty but it works!

Ray vk2tv