[Xastir] APRS queries

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Apr 2 15:57:37 PDT 2021

It should be possible to do this, but for Reasons there may not be anyone
with the time to dig through the code and do it.

This has definitely come up before and I looked at it briefly, but the way
messages are handled is a little wonky.  It *should* be possible to intercept
them at some stage and not add the reply/ack stuff or a message number, but
the way it is done (by inserting the message into the incoming datastream
and letting the normal message processing code handle it as if it had been
received) is a little tricky.  I never quite spent enough time wrapping my
brain over the path that the data took from the dialog box to actually being
transmitted, and so I do not have my own finger on the exact part of the
code that would need to be modified to recognize "hey, this is an outgoing
query, don't add a message number to it."  It isn't in the code that directly
handles input from the "Send Message" dialog.  It's more like deep in the bowels
of db.c

I have been frustrated by this very thing a few times, because there are some
implementations (notably javAPRSsrv and the old Kenwood D700) that will not
answer queries that have message numbers in them.

The queries that are available in the Station Info box don't have message
numbers, so obviously it *can* be done.

I can't be the one to do this, as I have no spare cycles to work on Xastir.

Maybe Jason or Curt do, but I think Curt is swamped, too.  If anyone else would
like to try their hand at hacking it in and making a pull request, I'd be
happy to review it.

On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 03:36:09PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <f1mhv at free.fr> flavor, containing:
> Hi Tom & Curt,
>
> Could-it possible to implement the complete set of APRS queries such as http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb758759//documents/APRS-Queries.pdf ?
>
> Or more simple: to get the possibility to send them manually via the message box implementing a rule that any message beginning ?? ? ?? (i-e: ?APRSP) should be sent without the ack characters.
>
> 73 de Cyril - DF1CHB - F1MHV

Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM