[Xastir] APRS queries

Jason Godfrey godfreja at gmail.com
Sat Apr 3 10:40:18 PDT 2021

Hello.

With the events that I normally use xastir for approaching, I'm not sure if
I can get to this soon, but I will keep it in mind. I have filed issue 176
to keep track of the request.

73
- Jason

On Fri, Apr 2, 2021 at 5:58 PM Tom Russo <russo at bogodyn.org> wrote:

> It should be possible to do this, but for Reasons there may not be anyone
> with the time to dig through the code and do it.
>
> This has definitely come up before and I looked at it briefly, but the way
> messages are handled is a little wonky.  It *should* be possible to
> intercept
> them at some stage and not add the reply/ack stuff or a message number, but
> the way it is done (by inserting the message into the incoming datastream
> and letting the normal message processing code handle it as if it had been
> received) is a little tricky.  I never quite spent enough time wrapping my
> brain over the path that the data took from the dialog box to actually
> being
> transmitted, and so I do not have my own finger on the exact part of the
> code that would need to be modified to recognize "hey, this is an outgoing
> query, don't add a message number to it."  It isn't in the code that
> directly
> handles input from the "Send Message" dialog.  It's more like deep in the
> bowels
> of db.c
>
> I have been frustrated by this very thing a few times, because there are
> some
> implementations (notably javAPRSsrv and the old Kenwood D700) that will
> not
> answer queries that have message numbers in them.
>
> The queries that are available in the Station Info box don't have message
> numbers, so obviously it *can* be done.
>
> I can't be the one to do this, as I have no spare cycles to work on Xastir.
>
> Maybe Jason or Curt do, but I think Curt is swamped, too.  If anyone else
> would
> like to try their hand at hacking it in and making a pull request, I'd be
> happy to review it.
>
> On Fri, Apr 02, 2021 at 03:36:09PM +0200, we recorded a bogon-computron
> collision of the <f1mhv at free.fr> flavor, containing:
> > Hi Tom & Curt,
> >
> > Could-it possible to implement the complete set of APRS queries such as
> http://privat.bahnhof.se/wb758759//documents/APRS-Queries.pdf ?
> >
> > Or more simple: to get the possibility to send them manually via the
> message box implementing a rule that any message beginning ?? ? ?? (i-e:
> ?APRSP) should be sent without the ack characters.
> >
> > 73 de Cyril - DF1CHB - F1MHV

> --
> Tom Russo    KM5VY
> Tijeras, NM
>
>  echo "prpv_a'rfg_cnf_har_cvcr" | sed -e 's/_/ /g' | tr [a-m][n-z]
> [n-z][a-m]

"The problem with quotes on the Internet is that it is often difficult to
verify their authenticity." - *Abraham Lincoln*