[Xastir] Xastir version 2.1.8 published

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Sun Oct 17 09:05:02 PDT 2021

Due to a handful of minor fixes that impact portability of Xastir to recent
versions of OSen, we've pushed out a point release of Xastir that is exactly
the current head of our git repo.

Beginning with this release, we are discontinuing our practice of making Xastir
release tarballs on github fully "bootstrapped" and ready to compile.  Starting
now, downloading a tarball from github gets you exactly the same code as
cloning the repo --- right down to the missing "configure" script that must
be created with "bootstrap.sh".

Install instructions in the source code have been updated to reflect this
change, but I have not gone (and will not go) through all the various wiki
pages describing system-specific installs to make sure they all say
"run bootstrap.sh".

Making this change in releases makes it easier to push them out on short notice
to fix issues such as have been identified over the last few months.

Complete release notes are on the github page at https://github.com/Xastir/Xastir/releases

Xastir users who are already using git to stay current will see no change,
as all we did was tag the head of the git repo with a release tag and update
the version number shown in the help and reported in APRS packets.

If you are a package maintainer for a distribution, please consider updating
the version of Xastir you're packaging.  This version fixes a number of
issues of compatibility with recent versions of autoconf and automake, and
also fixes a problem with our probe for libproj that would have seriously
impacted the build after libproj's version 8 is released.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM