[Xastir] Xastir do not process SCS TNC-DSP tracker raw data

F1MHV F1MHV at free.fr
Mon Nov 14 09:18:04 PST 2022

Hi TOM,

Many thanks for your (as usual) detailed answer and explanations.

> This may be a showstopper problem:  there is nothing in Xastir that will send
> an escape to the TNC before command-mode lines.
>
> In fact, the Xastir functions that handle construction of strings to send
> to serial TNCs has hard-coded stuff that puts control-c in front of all
> commands, which is how the standard TNC2-derived TNCs all work.   (There is
> additional code that allows a startup file to *skip* those control-c prefixes,
> but those were introduced just so that the Kenwoods could get initialized
> properly).
>
> That code is in the function command_file_to_tnc_port, which has hardcoded
> printfs that send code 0x03 (Control-C) before every command in the init
> file to make sure the TNC is in command mode.

That explain why all my attempts to create a custom init including a “^” failed...

> Have you tried manually connecting to the TNC via a terminal program and testing
> out the various commands to see if indeed this TNC needs an escape before
> processing the commands?

Yes i did-it from day 1 i owned (few years back) this TNC: only ESC activate the command interpreter and doesn’t transmit after C/R. Everything typed without ESC at the beginning will be transmitted after C/R.

> It may be possible to extend the "META" commands that skip control-c or
> introduce time delays with an extra meta command to insert an escape.  But
> then when Xastir tries to insert additional commands other than from the init
> file you still have the same problem --- it will try to insert control-Cs, not
> escapes.
>
> Xastir also sends either "conv" or "k" to the TNC each time it wants to switch
> to convers mode. These are the TNC2 commands that switch *out* of command mode
> and into converse mode, and which one is used is set up in the dialog for the
> serial TNC interfaces.  It sounds like your TNC defaults to being in converse
> mode and has to be taken *out* of it with an escape character.

Right

> That may make it incompatible with Xastir unless the code were changed.
>
> You may be forced to use KISS, even though you don't like it.  What is your
> objection to KISS mode?

This SCS TNC can handle a complex smart standalone mode with very little mA consumption: suitable for portable ops without the constant needs to attach a computer while on motion. Starting Kiss mode reset and deactivate completely this smart stand alone mode (the purpose of kiss), but then the computer needs to get GPS positions while this GPS is currently attached to the TNC… not to mention that most of the time the Kiss-exit fail and there is the need for a TNC power OFF-Then-ON to recover stand alone ops… the whole process is too long and complex while on the move…

About Kiss exit, does Xastir is compatible with the following: "With the decimal byte-sequence 192, 255, 192, 13 the TNC can be returned to normal operation without RESET (power off/on).”?

Cyril