[Xastir] Xastir do not process SCS TNC-DSP tracker raw data

Russo Tom russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Nov 14 09:24:40 PST 2022

On Mon, Nov 14, 2022 at 06:18:04PM +0100, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <F1MHV at free.fr> flavor, containing:

> > You may be forced to use KISS, even though you don't like it.  What is your
> > objection to KISS mode?
>
> This SCS TNC can handle a complex smart standalone mode with very little mA consumption: suitable for portable ops without the constant needs to attach a computer while on motion. Starting Kiss mode reset and deactivate completely this smart stand alone mode (the purpose of kiss), but then the computer needs to get GPS positions while this GPS is currently attached to the TNC??? not to mention that most of the time the Kiss-exit fail and there is the need for a TNC power OFF-Then-ON to recover stand alone ops??? the whole process is too long and complex while on the move???

Gotcha.  That does make KISS unattractive for your use.

> About Kiss exit, does Xastir is compatible with the following: "With the decimal byte-sequence 192, 255, 192, 13 the TNC can be returned to normal operation without RESET (power off/on).????

Not Xastir itself.  There is a cheesy script in the Xastir scripts directory
called "kiss-off.pl" that is really just an enormous block of comments and the
following three lines of perl:

sleep 1;
printf("%c%c%c", 192, 255, 192);
sleep 1;

That sends 192, 255, and 192, but does not send the ^M your TNC expects.

You could write your own three-line perl script:

sleep 1;
printf("%c%c%c%c", 192, 255, 192,13);
sleep 1;

to get 'er done if that ^M really is required.

There is not, as far as I know, any capability in Xastir to take a TNC in or
out of KISS mode automagically.  Hence the existence of the script to do it
after you've exited Xastir.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM