[Xastir] Dynamic Objects

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Thu May 18 10:08:34 PDT 2023

On Thu, May 18, 2023 at 12:43:29PM -0400, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <ki4hdu at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> Does Xastir have any way to have "Dynamic Objects" - i.e., objects that
> will follow a predefined route (gpx track) at a specified speed?

No, not directly.  That sounds like a useful feature, but Xastir doesn't
have it.

The only way to do that without hacking the source code would be to cobble
together some sort of script that reads your gpx file and creates an object
packet from it, then periodically feeds updated object packets to Xastir through
a server port.

I recall you used to have a web page called "APRS without APRS" that had
a cool script called "tracker.pl" (I still have a copy) that would construct
object packets from user-provided position and speed information (though not
from a GPX track), so I expect you'd have little trouble wiring something like
that up.

If you do that and make it general purpose enough, we could even add it to the
Xastir scripts directory.

(btw, the URL I have bookmarked for your old "APRS without APRS" page is no
longer reachable, and if it's still out there at some other URL I'd be happy
to have it.  The old URL was
http://mckeehan.homeip.net/amateurradio/APRS/aprstracker.htm)

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY