[Xastir-Dev] Compressed files are keen

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Thu Apr 24 19:24:12 EDT 2003

I did some interesting calculations today on my maps.  I have
shapefiles for all of California (a reasonable amount of maps) and I
wanted to see what sort of impact compression would have.

bash$ du -sk xastir-maps/
792528  xastir-maps/
bash$ find xastir-maps/ -type f -print | xargs gzip -f9
bash$ du -sk xastir-maps/
230948  xastir-maps/

This inspires me.  I'm starting with maps and the FCC database as
examples of large files xastir accesses in a read-only manner.  I
expect to be able to read compressed maps by Monday.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org