[Xastir-dev] Xastir a CPU pig again?

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Thu Dec 25 18:05:54 EST 2003

On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 03:55:05PM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 03:40:47PM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> > On Thu, Dec 25, 2003 at 04:20:38PM -0500, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <bdheaton at c4i2.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
>
> > > 	Just as an experiment could you shutdown the TNC interface and
> > > connect to an internet server?  This may help folks isolate
> > > whether the issue is in the TNC code or somwhere else.
>
> [...]
> > So it is clearly an interface issue, but not specific to the TNC code.
>
> I've been diffing the 4 Dec and 8 Dec versions and see that a large
> number of the delays being passed into select have been reduced
> dramatically.  In one case a delay of 200ms was reduced to 100us (a
> factor of 2000 smaller!).  I'm wondering if perhaps this is the source
> of the problem.

I can confirm it is in fact exactly the source of the problem.  I
changed the 100us delay in interface.c that had been reduced from
200ms sometime between 4 Dec and 8 Dec.  In the 25 Dec CVS version
this is on line 5307.  Setting it to 100ms instead of 100us ended my
problems.  With that change (and no other) both the 8 Dec and current
CVS versions of Xastir are back down to taking negligible CPU times.

Now to figure out if the issue with CVS gdal instead of gdal-1.1.9 is a real
one, or just a red herring.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/