[Xastir-Dev] "Caught seg fault"

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Sun Jan 5 15:35:01 EST 2003

On Sun, 5 Jan 2003, Chris Bell wrote:

> >  From the latest cvs.  Brings up the screen, starts loading maps, dies a
> > horrid death.

Chris gave a better answer than I could have w.r.t. gdb and the core
file.  I learned something.

More things to look at:  Is it at the stage that it's loading maps
that you have trouble, or perhaps when it's indexing maps?  When I
put in the indexing code, I found that I had some maps that were
truncated and therefore caused problems.  One that I recall
specifically was a Shapefile that didn't have enough vectors in it
to match it's other files.

If it's during map drawing, you can disable automaps/tigermaps, etc
in the xastir.cnf file manually before starting, and also clear out
the selected_maps.sys file.  This should cause _zero_ maps to get
drawn when you come up.

If it's happening during indexing, I'd suggest turning on all debug
and enabling the core file as Chris suggested.  Find out either which
routine or which map file is doing it.

If you find a map file that is causing segfaults in a new way, I want
that map file so I can duplicate the problem and fix the code up.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer