[Xastir-Dev] configure checking for motif

Chuck Byam cbyam at virginia.edu
Wed Jan 8 12:32:36 EST 2003

On Wed, 2003-01-08 at 00:52, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, RZG wrote:
>
> > I just did a silly test on an old system of mine that doesn't have
> > motif/lesstif installed. Configure reported "(none)" for motif and
> > headers, but just went on as though nothing happened. Since we're
> > finding people missing the devel files (and in my silly case the library
> > itself), shouldn't the configure script bail out and tell the user
> > to install it?
>
> Yep.  What I'd like to see is that the header files and the library
> are checked in "configure", and any of the libraries that are
> optional or required for Xastir should be non-cached in configure.
> They should be checked every time, without having to remove the
> config.cache file first.
>
> That would save a lot of heartaches with the users.
>
> It'd also be cool to check ld.so.conf and/or ld.so.cache to make sure
> that all Xastir library directories and libraries found by configure
> were listed there as well.

Much of this has been on the TO-DO list for some time now.  I have a
configure.in (essentially the some old script) that will build using the
"newer" autotool utilities and will commit that for testing.  Along
these lines, I would like to redo the whole configure process which I
think can be streamlined considerably.  Unfortunately, this will most
likely break things for some people.  If you all are willing to live
with a bit of turmoil I'll start committing what I have.  It may be a
good idea to branch this before I do this though.  Backwards
compatibility will attempted to be maintained.

I use the following versions for my development
aclocal - 1.6.3
autoconf - 2.53
automake - 1.6.3
gcc - 3.2.1