[Xastir-Dev] configure checking for motif

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jan 8 16:17:07 EST 2003

On 8 Jan 2003, Chuck Byam wrote:

> Much of this has been on the TO-DO list for some time now.  I have a
> configure.in (essentially the some old script) that will build using the
> "newer" autotool utilities and will commit that for testing.  Along
> these lines, I would like to redo the whole configure process which I
> think can be streamlined considerably.  Unfortunately, this will most
> likely break things for some people.  If you all are willing to live
> with a bit of turmoil I'll start committing what I have.  It may be a
> good idea to branch this before I do this though.  Backwards
> compatibility will attempted to be maintained.

> Discuss...

Ok, you asked for it!

Let's do a stable release, right away.  Get it over with.  Do a very
short-term feature-freeze, like until this weekend or very early
next week, then a release.  Only bug fixes until then.

After that, it's wild-west time again, and broken development CVS is
an OK thing.  In fact, that's what it's for...  ;-)

I'd rather not get too much into branches.  They're a pain to do
right and to understand properly.  If we tell the CVS users that the
development CVS is likely to break, they can skip the updates until
it's stable again.

On the other hand, if we do the breakage on a branch, regular CVS
users won't know/care.  I can suffer through branching if need be.

It's entirely up to you Chuck.  Let's do a stable release first
though in any case.  Sound good?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com