[Xastir-Dev] xastir feature recommendations

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Jan 8 15:44:14 EST 2003

On Wed, 8 Jan 2003, Howard, Chris wrote:

> I've been using xastir on the receive side to get
> my feet wet in the local APRS scene.  I have a few
> features that I would like to suggest, mostly
> enhancements to the user interface.

Please look at the "Feature Request" tracker on

    sourceforge.net/projects/xastir

There you'll find over 120 current feature requests that people
would like implemented.  Yea, a lot of them were posted by me, but
many of those were proposed by others, I was just the one that added
them to the list.

Please look through the list and add comments to those that match or
are similar to the stuff that you proposed.  If you don't see some
of your suggestions listed at all, please add a new feature request.
I and the other developers get a _lot_ of email, so posting a
suggestion in email almost assures that it'll get lost.  Put it on
the feature request list and it'll be there for eternity or until it
gets implemented.

Those were all good suggestions though.  I think the sort thing is
on the list already, but you might want to add some notes to that
request.

> I have done some C programming in the past.  If someone would
> be willing to give me some hints, I might try to tackle this
> stuff myself.

Unless you've done X-windows stuff, you might want to stay away from
the GUI portion.  It's kind'a weird, and a bit of experience and a
lot of reference manuals really help.  You're certainly more than
welcome to try though.

If you'd like to submit patches for back-end code to implement any
of these, and request the GUI tie-ins to match, I'd be more than
happy to help.  You can even take all the credit when done, 'cuz I
don't want it!

I've been all over the code, so if you need hints/discussion about
it, feel free.  The "developer" list or personal e-mail would be
best for those discussions.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com