[Xastir-Dev] What does "local" mean?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Jan 16 13:37:10 EST 2003

On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Olivier Calle wrote:

> On Fri, 10 Jan 2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> CMW> Have you already implemented the heard-locally stuff, or did you
> CMW> just change the menus?  We might need to do some more work in the
> CMW> back-end parsing code to set the bit properly in all cases.
>
> I am just talking about an update to the 2 Filter* submenus of the
> Stations menu.  No back-end work is included.  Hopefully it'll be in CVS
> this weekend.

Ok Jack, he's cleared the way for you, as have I.  Olivier is
mostly finished with the new menu structure for the two filter
menus.  He's going to be adding a "Select Non-Direct" entry next to
the "Select Direct" entry (both under "Select TNC" I think).  He's
also going to add more global options "Select Stations" and "Select
Objects" or similar, so we can quickly enable disable those two
groups of icons.

I just changed ST_LOCAL to ST_DIRECT, so that we're very clear on
what it means.

Here's what I think we still need:

Add a time_t to the record that contains the last time the station
was heard direct.  Figure out an interval for it (I suggest twice
the ghosting interval, which is the same as the expire-from-database
interval).  Check whether that interval has passed and if so, clear
the ST_DIRECT bit.  If the station hasn't expired out of the
database completely by this point, it means that you've heard it on
a network interface or non-direct on a TNC interface.  Should work
out well.

We need setting that bit to be a one-way trip (except for the above
case).  Nothing should reset it except for the interval expire.

The ST_VIATNC bit should also be a one-way trip except for another
time_t expire interval.  Same situation as above.  Packets across a
'net interface should not cause this bit to be reset, but at the
expire-from-database interval, then it can be reset ('cuz it's been
heard on a network interface at that point if it hasn't expired).

The ST_VIATNC change should make messaging work better for the case
where you've got both network and TNC interfaces.  It should go to
local RF more often.

Olivier:  Jump in here with your two cents if I got this stuff all
wrong.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com