[Xastir-Dev] 1.2.0 patches for datadir, pkglib, xastir.spec.in

Curt Mills hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Jun 17 14:37:33 EDT 2003

On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:

> Ok.  So can you specify where things will go if you don't provide
> command-line flags or use the spec file?  Same as always?

Looks like a bunch of them are different, marked with '*' below:

  /usr/local/bin/xastir
* /usr/local/share/xastir/config/language-Dutch.sys
* /usr/local/share/xastir/help/help-Dutch.dat
* /usr/local/lib/xastir/Coordinate.pm
* /usr/local/share/xastir/symbols/symbols.dat
* /usr/local/share/xastir/doc/AUTHORS
* /usr/local/share/xastir/Counties/placeholder
* /usr/local/share/xastir/fcc/placeholder
* /usr/local/share/xastir/GNIS/placeholder
* /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/GPS/placeholder
* /usr/local/share/xastir/maps/placeholder
  /usr/local/man/man1/xastir.1
* /usr/local/share/xastir/sounds/placeholder

I have no problem with the new default locations, but how do we
easily get users to migrate?

It's not a problem for new users.  For existing users, changing the
default locations means that the software will be installed in two
places, and will be looking in the old location for files because of
the xastir.cnf file.

So... It'd be great to migrate users to the new scheme.  Do we have
the software auto-migrate them when they do an upgrade?  It'd
require code to check for the new files and tweak xastir.cnf for the
new locations, perhaps also asking the user to delete the older
directories.

Any easier methods?  A migration script that would edit xastir.cnf
directly and then ask if it could delete the old directories?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com