[Xastir-Dev] 1.2.0 patches for datadir, pkglib, xastir.spec.in

Chuck Byam cbyam at virginia.edu
Wed Jun 18 13:48:51 EDT 2003

On Wed, 2003-06-18 at 10:55, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> On Tue, 17 Jun 2003, Alan Crosswell wrote:
>
> > So, because we use config.h instead of -D stuff set in CPPFLAGS in the
> > Makefile, datadir's default value can't be used whereas any overriding
> > value (as set by the rpm %configure macro) works.  Sorry I didn't test
> > this more thoroughly!  I'll fix it, probably in a kludgy way:-(

We can define anything we want to, this includes adding flags to
xxxFLAGS.

> Can't stuff in acinclude.m4 do substitution?  I think we can do
> pretty much any shell commands we want there.

I'm still in favor of moving away from a monolithic acinclude and even
attempted to do this recently, but it crept back in.

> > I suppose y'all are wedded to config.h instead of all the -D's in the
> > Makefile?
>
> We were using -D's all over the place, then switched to the config.h
> scheme.  I think it was switched in order to make the compile lines
> cleaner.
>
> Which way is recommended these days?  I tend to like our current
> method, but I'm not one of the major config guys either.  That'd be
> Jack and Chuck.

I'd like to continue using the config.h file and keep our definitions in
this central location.  Again, we can manipulate any of the
compiler/linker flags from within the automagic framework.  If this is a
problem on some systems, the RPM's/deb's/etc.that folks want to use
could be distributed with these patches included.

-- Chuck