[Xastir-Dev] Re: New Directory Structure

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Fri Jun 20 15:05:56 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Curt" == Curt Mills <Curt> writes:

[...]

Curt> Perhaps a configure-time check for the old directories, and then
Curt> issue a warning at the end of configure (with asterisks all
Curt> around it) that asks the user to run it?  Jack: How easy would
Curt> it be to do that?

Umm, it'd be possible, but it's pretty gross.

Curt> I know I seem pretty eager to add it into the build process
Curt> somehow, but I'd really like to avoid somebody getting stuck
Curt> late at night not knowing how to fix the problem.

Is it too late to defer any major directory change until the next
minor release?  It's a big change, and we're not stable enough at the
moment to keep most users off of CVS.  This will hit a lot of people.

Curt> I suppose just adding a note to the end of configure without
Curt> checking for whether the user had already converted would work
Curt> just as well.  I _do_ think that the note should be there and
Curt> very obvious.  If we had it tied in to some configure check
Curt> code, then the note would disappear for future iterations of
Curt> configure if the conversion script had been run.

The check would be straightforward:

if directory is not in new place
  if directory is in old place
    echo "You will need to move your directories to the new place."
  else
    echo "Welcome to xastir!"
  fi
fi