[Xastir-Dev] Re: New Directory Structure

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Fri Jun 20 15:24:37 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Curt" == Curt Mills <Curt> writes:

Jack> Is it too late to defer any major directory change until the
Jack> next minor release?

Curt> No, it's not too late.  I think the change is a good idea, but
Curt> it doesn't have to be immediate.  I have my local files modified
Curt> with Alan's patches, but haven't committed them to CVS yet.  I
Curt> wasn't going to do so until we had a way to recover for the
Curt> people affected.

Okay.  That sounds good.

Jack> It's a big change, and we're not stable enough at the moment to
Jack> keep most users off of CVS.  This will hit a lot of people.

Curt> Define "not stable enough at the moment".  Having some problems?

I haven't personally touched the xastir code since my home machine
went down.  I haven't been able to get the TNC connected to the new
machine (serial ports changed, ugh) so it hasn't been a real issue.

However, we're currently in a situation where the folks who check code
out of CVS are not developers or even "power users" but general
day-to-day users who don't have the wherewithal to deal with this kind
of situation without dozens of messages to the lists.

If we can establish a pattern of stable releases and wean the general
users off of CVS, then we can have magic code in our build process
that detects obsolete directory structures and corrects them upon
installation.

This is all just my humble opinion.

Jack.
--