[Xastir-Dev] Re: New Directory Structure

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Fri Jun 20 15:34:50 EDT 2003

On Fri, 20 Jun 2003, Jack Twilley wrote:

> However, we're currently in a situation where the folks who check code
> out of CVS are not developers or even "power users" but general
> day-to-day users who don't have the wherewithal to deal with this kind
> of situation without dozens of messages to the lists.
>
> If we can establish a pattern of stable releases and wean the general
> users off of CVS, then we can have magic code in our build process
> that detects obsolete directory structures and corrects them upon
> installation.
>
> This is all just my humble opinion.

Accepted.

My humble opinion is that CVS is a good thing, but perhaps how we're
using it is not.  Maybe we should have a development branch and a
release branch, so that the users that wish to use CVS to update can
still do so, but they won't be in the "unstable" territory that the
developers hang out in.  Of course that complicates things for the
developers a tad bit.  Might not be worth the hassle.

Right now we have a 24-hour settling period between things going
into CVS and the users being able to pull the changes, but that'll
go away at the next SourceForge CVS hardware upgrade time in August.

One of the reasons that users were encouraged to go the CVS route
was that the "stable" releases weren't happening often enough.
Actually "development" releases have been happening on a regular
schedule for the last year or so, so the users could have used those
until the next "stable", so perhaps that line of thinking (pushing
them towards CVS) was wrong.  I was one of the ones sending people
towards CVS.

The current README.win32 instructions are for CVS only, but could
certainly be changed.

What do other developers/advanced-users think, should we wean users
off of CVS (unless they know what they're getting into)?

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com