[Xastir-dev] Like, would this be easy or what?

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Fri Apr 2 12:46:05 EST 2004

On Fri, Apr 02, 2004 at 09:24:01AM -0800, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':

> Is this a simple connection (I'm good at those):  Tie the "Search
> FCC Database" function into the Find Address function, so that one
> can both look up the address matching a station on the map, and
> drive to it.

This had occured to me, too.  It could even be as simple as adding a
"locate home address" button on the Station Info dialog, which would
search the FCC database for an address, then do the lookup of the
address just as you say.

'Course one would have to have the full geocode database for it to work,
but then one also needs the full FCC/RAC databases for the "Lookup Callsign"
function anyway, so it's not much of a restriction.

While you're at it, perhaps a "track this station" button could be
added to the station info dialog?  Right now the only way to get a
station tracked is to type its callsign into a dialog, even if the
icon is on your screen.  I recall that there was a request for that to
be included in the right-click menu and that there were then issues of
resolving nearby stations.  Putting a button into the station info dialog
could be a useful, quick extension.

> It'd also be nice to have a generic callsign lookup dialog for
> FCC/RAC callsigns, so you wouldn't have to have an icon on the map
> in order to search for a callsign's info.  That's on the RFE list
> already I think.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "It is inhumane in my opinion to force people who have a genuine
  medical need for coffee to wait in line behind people who apparently
  view it as some kind of recreational activity."  -- Dave Barry