[Xastir-dev] Re: Soundmodem support?

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Jan 28 18:49:06 EST 2004

On Wed, 28 Jan 2004, David L Norris wrote:

> Does the /dev/sm0 interface work on Linux?

Yes, it should.

> I'm wondering if there's a
> good reason to use any kernel drivers with soundmodem.  Soundmodem
> appears to need the mkiss driver.  But a number of distros come without
> any prebuilt hamradio kernel modules.

The only "good" reasons I can think of for using AX.25 kernel
networking:

1) You wish to use network-aware apps over ham radio links.  You can
set up the soundmodem interface to look like an ethernet port, and
all of the normal routing tables and such apply.

2) You wish to have multiple apps share the same interface.  I do
this at home sometimes, running multiple copies of Xastir (as
different users), and letting them all share the same TNC.