[Xastir-dev] Re: Soundmodem support?

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Wed Jan 28 20:55:34 EST 2004

On Wed, Jan 28, 2004 at 06:32:14PM -0500, David L Norris wrote:
> On Wed, 2004-01-28 at 16:57, Curt, WE7U wrote:
> > Dick Reichenbach has it working on Solaris, definitely user mode and
> > KISS /dev/sm0 interface in that case, as there is no kernel mode
> > version for Solaris.
>
> In case anyone missed it, Linux 2.6 doesn't support sound card modems in
> kernel space.  I believe the drivers were completely removed from the
> kernel sources.

Nor does 2.6 include kernel soundmodem.  Its use is deprecated in any
case.  User-mode soundmodem should work with any soundcard driver
(ALSA, OSS).

> Does the /dev/sm0 interface work on Linux?  I'm wondering if there's a
> good reason to use any kernel drivers with soundmodem.  Soundmodem
> appears to need the mkiss driver.  But a number of distros come without
> any prebuilt hamradio kernel modules.

Or even packages for libax25, ax25-apps and ax25-tools (or Xastir).
Something to think about when choosing a Linux distro (hint: Debian or
SuSe).

:^)

--
Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy (at) n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net