[Xastir-dev] acinclude.m4:XASTIR_DETECT_DEVICES

tbaggett at jump.net tbaggett at jump.net
Tue Mar 23 17:32:27 EST 2004

----- Original Message -----
From: Jack Twilley <jmt at twilley.org>
Date: Tuesday, March 23, 2004 3:52 pm
Subject: Re: [Xastir-dev] acinclude.m4:XASTIR_DETECT_DEVICES

> That's the page I was using to check, and it doesn't say /dev/ttyS0
> but does say /dev/tty* and /dev/comX.  If this is the case, however,
> that that's how it's been for the past four years, I'd like to remove
> any references to com1 from the acinclude.m4 file and just go with
> /dev/ttyS0.

Actually, I just checked the source for Cygwin 1.5.5 and they are using /dev/comX as an alias for /dev/ttySX (search for "ttyS" in the winsup/cygwin/dtable.cc Cygwin source file). Still, their main goal was to allow one to use serial ports in the same way one would under Linux:

Also, I see no situations where the source is handling the serial port differently among the different versions of Windows. So it appears the serial ports are used in the same manner among all Windows platforms.

The /dev stuff isn't real well documented on the Cygwin website (as they admit) and so the Cygwin source is really the best place to get info on this subject. I just happened to be digging through it a few months ago.

Tim