[Xastir-dev] Seeing weird fill patterns

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Mon May 31 01:46:11 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 11:32:08PM -0600, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 08:39:34PM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
>
> > No DBFAWK signature for transparent/shapefiles/noaa/s_24ja01.shp!  Using default.
>
> For this one you'll need to make a dbfawk file for if you want anything
> other than the default behavior, of course.

You might want to try this one:

-----------begin file nwss_ddmmyy.dbfawk----------------------
# $Id$
#
# Copyright (C) 2003-2004  The Xastir Group
#
# This file is used to map NWS state polygon shapefiles
# which are named s_ddmmyy.dbf.

BEGIN {
dbfinfo="STATE:NAME:FIPS:LON:LAT";
dbffields="STATE:NAME"}

# BEGIN_RECORD is called once per dbf record which contains multiple fields.
# Use this rule to re-initialize variables between records.
BEGIN_RECORD {key=""; lanes=1; fill_color=11; color=8; name=""; filled=0; fill_style=0; pattern=0; display_level=262144; label_level=8192; label_color=12; font_size=4; symbol=""}

/^NAME=(.*)$/ {name="$1"; next}
------------End file-------------------------------------

This should work if the state file signature hasn't changed since your file.
I used the signature for the one I just downloaded to build it.

Tweak "display_level", "label_level" "font_size" and "label_color" to taste.
I have this set so it'll pretty much show all the state outlines to a pretty
high zoom level, but will turn off state names after you get out to around
8192.  It also uses a pretty big font, which might look awful at high zoom
levels.  YYMV, use caution while driving, discontinue use if rash results.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "If life gives you lemonade, kick it in the balls and say 'Hey, I wanted
  a beer.'"