[Xastir-dev] Seeing weird fill patterns

Tom Russo russo at bogoflux.losalamos.nm.us
Mon May 31 02:11:40 EDT 2004

On Sun, May 30, 2004 at 09:37:50PM -0700, a Mr. Richard Feyler of Fort Lee, New Jersey <archer at eskimo.com> writes 'Dear Rosanne Rosannadanna':
> On Sun, 30 May 2004, Tom Russo wrote:
>
> > > No DBFAWK signature for z_30au02.shp!  Using default.
> >
> > Yeah, we talked about that -- you're using an old zone file that doesn't have
> > the same signature as the current ones.  If I were you and didn't want
> > to download a new one, I'd definitely do the kludge I mentioned before --- copy
> > the nwsz_ddmmyy.dbfawk file from config to your Counties directory, rename
> > it z_30au02.dbfawk, and edit the dbfinfo string so it matches your signature.
> > That way you'll be able to get the right thing done with your zone file.
> > And if you download a new one later it'll have a different name and match
> > the signature in the config/nwsz_ddmmyy.dbfawk file, so it will work out of
> > the box
>
> I don't want to do that.  I'm simulating a new user (or a
> new-to-dbfawk user) that doesn't have the correct files in place.
> The default behavior shouldn't corrupt the entire map screen, right?

Nod.  A corrupted display should definitely not be the default behavior :-)

The default behavior won't allow wx alerts in those zones to display, however.
To get an alert zone to display, the "key" dbfawk variable must get set so
that it can be matched by the alert code.  Without a matching signature,
the default behavior is to set *no* key, and therefore the alerts will never
match a shape in the z file.

New users should definitely be made aware of that.  Their choice would be
to get new zone files with the newer signature, or to do the overriding as
descrived above.  That should be in a README somewhere.

> With the latest fixes you suggested (that I just checked in to CVS),
> will the default behavior be correct now?  I mean, will it not
> stipple the entire map screen?

Well, I would hope so.  By doing that final XSetFillStyle to FillSolid before
draw_shapefile_map returns, it should guarantee that no maps drawn after
an alert get leftover stippling.

If it doesn't fix the problem, then the issue lies outside of
draw_shapefile_map.

Tijeras, NM  QRPL#1592 K2#398  SOC#236 AHTB#1 http://www.qsl.net/~km5vy/
 "If life gives you lemonade, kick it in the balls and say 'Hey, I wanted
  a beer.'"