[Xastir-dev] Feature suggestion - Web Based Control

Gerry Creager N5JXS gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Nov 2 11:38:48 EST 2004

I keep coming back to this, but I think we're wanting to head toward
something like MapServer for this sort of thing, with a PostGIS back end
for stations/positions, objects, etc.

I'm trying to do some other things along these lines.  I'll add it to
the feature list for a hook to connect to xastir, snag the stream, post
positions to postgis, etc.  Or, maybe to the APRS-IS servers?  Naw, we
want to keep this pointed toward xastir.

With Mapserver you can snag the png and then do pan/zoom, but it's
solely to the extent of the image... if you have the associated
shapefiles for maps, you can snag positions, place 'em in a spatially
enabled database (OracleSpatial, postGIS) and generate shapefiles
directly...

Creating symbols, rotating same, etc.  can be accomplished in mapserver...