[Xastir-dev] GraphicsMagick, external executables

Curt, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Dec 8 09:24:38 EST 2006

For what it's worth, I used GraphicsMagick instead of ImageMagick
for the LSB binary.  The changes were quite simple and should be
readily apparent in configure.ac/acinclude.m4.

GraphicsMagick is a fork of the ImageMagick code which aims to be
fully open-source and have a more stable API than ImageMagick.

Because it was so easy to switch over, we should consider adding
configure tests for GraphicsMagick to the general Xastir builds.
In fact, I'd suggest that we search for it first over ImageMagick,
therefore preferring GraphicsMagick over ImageMagick if both are
present.

I didn't make any LSB changes yet for Printing or Snapshots, where
we currently use "convert" from ImageMagick.

Speaking of external programs, I need to either supply the
executables (themselves compiled under LSB) or reproduce the
functionality in Xastir itself for the LSB binary.  Here's the
current list, your paths may differ:

    /usr/bin/wget       (replaced by libcurl in LSB)
    /usr/bin/convert    (ImageMagick)
    /usr/bin/lpr
    /usr/X11R6/bin/gv
    /bin/cp
    /bin/cat
    /usr/bin/festival
    /usr/X11R6/bin/gpsman

Plus a couple of hard-coded paths to executables in our code that we
need to do something about:

  main.c:   execve("/usr/local/bin/xastir", my_argv, my_envp);
  wx_gui.c: "/usr/bin/finger %s at wxsvr.net",

That first is where we restart Xastir upon receiving a SIGHUP.  The
second is where we request the NOAA weather alert text from WXSVR.