[Xastir-dev] Configure's test for "gv"

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Fri Jan 12 16:45:00 EST 2007

On Fri, Jan 12, 2007 at 01:08:05PM -0800, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <archer at eskimo.com> flavor, containing:

> KD7NM brought up to me today that the configure test for "gv"
> complains about X11 if there's no X11 running on Cygwin at the time.
> I believe Tom mentioned this or a similar thing to me before as
> well.
>
> What would be a good direction to go in this case?  Should we test
> again for just the presence of the file if it fails the first test?
> I'd hate to toss out the print customization options just because
> someone configured without X11 running.

Well, the main problem is that we need to actually *run* gv to see what
version it is in order to determine what sort of options to pass to it (they
changed them dramatically a couple years ago, and old options are no longer
recognized).  And "gv --version" tries to connect to the X server even though
it has no intention of putting up any windows.

Unless we're going to drop support for the old style GV options (potentially
shutting some folks out who haven't upgraded in years), we'll need to run
gv --version in order to figure the version out.  You could, of course,
always do something like "test for existence of gv, then run it to test
version, and if it doesn't run assume it's the new version" or something like
that.