[Xastir-dev] Re: Database Storage

Paul J. Morris mole at morris.net
Tue Jul 8 14:10:36 EDT 2008

On Tue, 8 Jul 2008 09:04:21 -0700
"Jeffrey Johnson" <ortelius at gmail.com> wrote:
> What ever became of this?
>
> http://lists.xastir.org/pipermail/xastir-dev/2007-July/002674.html
>
> I am perhaps interested in contributing to this effort if its still
> alive.

It is at a working proof of concept stage in the current 1.9.3
development release.  I haven't had a chance to work on in for a few
months, but (depending on the shift of effort to xastir-ng [where most
of this layer could be built rapidly with code generation tools]), it
is still quite alive, if rather experimental still.  You can store
station positions as they are heard in a table in either MySQL or
PostGIS, and retrieve those positions on restarting xastir.

Support for MySQL 5 or Postgresql+PostGIS can be enabled by building
xastir using:

configure --with-mysql --with-postgis

See section 12 in the INSTALL file.

Only a minimal set of data is currently being stored (expanding to the
APRSWorld schema might be a nice next step).

SQL to create the relevant tables can be found in
scripts/db_gis_mysql.sql and scripts/db_gis_postgis.sql
http://xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net/xastir/xastir/scripts/db_gis_mysql.sql?view=markup
http://xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net/xastir/xastir/scripts/db_gis_postgis.sql?view=markup

Most of the code is in src/db_gis.c
http://xastir.cvs.sourceforge.net/xastir/xastir/src/db_gis.c?view=markup
with other blocks in interface.c, interface_gui.c, main.c, and
xa_config.c identifiable with #ifdef HAVE_DB directives.

-Paul
--
Paul J. Morris
Biodiversity Informatics Manager