[Xastir-dev] Xastir Requirements Capture

Gerry Creager gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Tue Jun 17 01:12:32 EDT 2008

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Mon, 16 Jun 2008, Gerry Creager wrote:
>
>> A well-formed feature request with a valid use-case can become a requirement.
>> Requirements are consensus-derived but usually obvious to most/all.
>>
>> In other words, if there's a feature we all agree is neat, it can become a
>> requirement.
>
> One thing I've seen done before is a list of requirements/features
> all thrown together, then consensus is reached on the each one's
> priority and they're re-ordered.  After that, concensus is reached
> on where to draw the line for implementation for the next release.
> Everything above that line becomes a requirement for that release.
>
> Everything below that line will be ignored for that release and can
> be considered a feature request for the next, perhaps even never to
> get implemented at all.
>
> Each release cycle the priorities plus where to draw the cutoff line
> are re-negotiated by the team.
>
> I don't know if this is a good technique, but I've seen it work.  I
> doubt this has _anything_ to do with UML and use cases though, hi
> hi, but I haven't read the book yet either.

I actually agree almost totally with Tom on his position.  OK, that's said.

If we take a lesson from Mapserver and QGIS, they each use a ticket
system for feature requests.  It's essentially a black box to most
users, but the developers look at it and the contents are discussed on
the developers lists.  If the bug is deemed something they think is
worth doing, OR if someone has a real burning desire to do it, it gets
implemented.  Often, simple feature requests, if well-defined and easily
identifiable as pertinent, are implemented as fast as possible.

This is similar to the process you describe and would likely work for
this application development cycle.

gerry
Gerry Creager -- gerry.creager at tamu.edu
Cell: 979.229.5301 Office: 979.458.4020 FAX: 979.862.3983