[Xastir-dev] Anti-aliasing and transparency

J. Lance Cotton joe at lightningflash.net
Mon Apr 20 12:08:46 EDT 2009

Curt, WE7U wrote:
> On Sun, 19 Apr 2009, Tom Hayward wrote:
>
>> I'm watching a bike race with Xastir and the Tiger 2008 maps. There
>> are lots of overlapping tracks. It got me thinking--the whole thing
>> would be a lot easier to read if there was anti-aliasing on the maps,
>> tracks, and text, and semi-transparency on the tracks. What would it
>> take to accomplish this? I haven't poked around in the GUI code at
>> all. Does Xastir already use a library that supports these options?
>
> Anti-aliasing:  I don't believe any of us have ever looked into
> that.  Feel free and report back?  hi hi

I looked into it once. One option, the quick one, was to double the
height and width of the drawing canvas, the use ImageMagick or
Graphicsmagick to scale it down.

Another option would be to find a graphics library that supports the
same kinds of primitives as Motif (not hard) and also supports
anti-aliasing.

I found one once, but can't remember now. My coding isn't/wasn't good
enough to integrate it into Xastir. But basically you would replace all
the line/poly instructions with calls to the alternate functions, them
load the resulting canvas into the display window.

-Lance

--
J. Lance Cotton, KJ5O
joe at lightningflash.net
http://kj5o.lightningflash.net
Three Step Plan: 1. Take over the world. 2. Get a lot of cookies. 3. Eat
the cookies.