[Xastir-dev] Proposal for eliminating the .osm files;

Curt, WE7U curt.we7u at gmail.com
Fri Jun 18 13:05:42 EDT 2010

On Thu, 17 Jun 2010, Jerry Dunmire wrote:

> OK, I found what I think are the relevant functions, index_*() in
> map.c, and the structure definition in map.h.
>
> Here is what I think is being asked:
>
> At present map_geo.c does not open and read the .geo file during
> indexing, but that would be changed (slowing the indexing, but perhaps
> acceptable). Then the index_update_xastir() API would be changed to
> allow additional information to be passed in (like zoom mode,
> projection type, name of a copyright file, etc.).
>
> Once the index has the information then the Map Chooser would be
> turned into a larger dialog (or one with a horizontal scroll bar) so
> that the additional information can be displayed. But that probably
> does not provide enough room for extended text such as copyright
> strings and an explanation of the zoom operation. So I'm not sure that
> will work...
>
> Is this the right track? Is it worth it?

I don't know about the larger dialog thing.  Perhaps another textbox
that dumped out data that had to be OK'ed when certain maps were
selected.

I spent a bunch of time years back trying to make most of the
dialogs and Xastir itself play on a 640x480 color screen.  I have a
device that's a truck-mount touch-screen PC that is like that, plus
others requested that size (and smaller actually).  That job was
not completed as there are still one or two dialogs that are a bit
too tall, and some may have grown since I did that.  Just a little
history about dialog sizes so you know that's a concern as well.
We'd eventually like Xastir to be able to run on embedded devices,
but I doubt we'll get there with Xastir 1.x.

As far as worth it?  Hard to say.  It sounds fairly general, but the
code changes may outweight the usefulness.  Do you have other ideas
that will get you where you want to go w/o turning so much code
over?