[Xastir-dev] Weather Alert Test Cases Fail

Curt Mills curt.we7u at gmail.com
Wed Aug 23 15:55:47 PDT 2017

I vaguely remember working on the code to get Pete's weather alerts working
once he started generating that format. It's likely that I broke the
non-compressed alert processing while doing it. As nobody (that I know of)
was generating that format I didn't care at the time.

I believe I duplicated the format that Pete went to for my weather alerts.
Looks like you're planning to do the non-compressed format?

I also see that you have "Flood" as an example alert. You should try a feed
from Firenet.us as I am generating Flood alerts and others there. No reason
to duplicate efforts.

Some weather alerts are not being parsed by Pete or I: Those would be great
targets of opportunity.

Pete and I had a discussion a while back about which were important alerts.
We disagree, which is why I started generating some that he didn't. I
generate a bunch of alerts and APRS objects, some are sent to APRS-IS, some
to Firenet, some to both.

I have no great interest at the moment in tweaking the alert code at the
moment. Patches can go on Github as a fork for us to merge in with the
mainline code. I didn't write the original code for processing alerts, and
found it not to my liking, but nobody else adopted those sections so I've
been the only one patching the code there.

On Wed, Aug 23, 2017 at 12:24 PM, Dan Srebnick <k2dls at k2dls.net> wrote:

> Upon further testing, there is bug in the current implementation if the
> intent is to conform with AE5PL's spec.
>
> On his page at http://www.aprs-is.net/wx/, Pete states that:
>
> zcs are comma separated zone codes or county codes (see the databases
> linked to the left to find the zone or county code for your area), or
> statement text.
>
> compressed zcs is a compressed listing of zones or counties (see
> example below) (note underscore in To address instead of hyphen).
>
> I have written my alerts to use the uncompressed zcs format.  Xastir
> currently only processes the first zone in the list and ignores the
> remainder.  If the alert uses compressed zcs, then all the applicable
> zones are extracted and included in the alert.
>
> Uncompressed, Xastir doesn't create an alert for each zone:
>
> K2DLS-13>APRS::NWS-WATCH:280400z,Flash
> Flood,NJZ012,NJZ013,NJZ014,NJZ015,NJZ016{7G000
>
> Compressed, Xastir does create an alert for each zone:
>
> K2DLS-13>APRS::NWS-WATCH:280400z,Flash Flood,NJZ012>016{7G000
> K2DLS-13>APRS::NWS-WATCH:290400z,Flash Flood,NJZ014-020>023{IJJ00
>
> 73,
>
> Dan K2DLS

Curt, WE7U
http://we7u.wetnet.net