[Xastir-dev] Travis-CI / Branches / Git

Tom Russo russo at bogodyn.org
Mon Apr 22 11:23:19 PDT 2019

On Mon, Apr 22, 2019 at 11:12:55AM -0700, we recorded a bogon-computron collision of the <curt.we7u at gmail.com> flavor, containing:
> The Travis-CI settings for a repo have a setting for building pushed
> branches and I have that enabled for my Github forks of Xastir and
> Xastir-Qt.
>
> Thinking about the workflow: If I work on a "warning-fixes" branch then
> want to push it to my Github fork to trigger Travis-CI, I'd push my branch
> up there and Travis-CI would create another report section for the branch?
> Right now it just compiles "master".

When I push any branch to my fork, that branch is built by Travis.

The easy way to see the results is to go to the github page for your fork
and click the "# branches" button (found just above the colored bar showing
fraction of code in each language, just to the right of "# commits").

When you click this, you'll see a list of all the branches in your fork.  If
you've pushed to a branch and triggered a Travis build, you'll see a green
check (if that build passed), yellow dot (if the tests are still running)
or red X (if the build failed).

Click on that little symbol and you should be given a link that will take you
to the Travis page for the latest build, and from there you can view other
builds.

If alternate branches are not triggering Travis builds for you, something might
be wrong with your travis settings.

> I want to trigger Travis-CI to verify that I got rid of compiler warnings
> before I do a pull-request up to the Xastir/Xastir project.
>
> Once I start pushing branches up to my Github fork I also need to know how
> to delete the remote branch, but I can hunt through the books when that
> time comes and figure it out. In fact I can probably do it from the Github
> web interface also (but usually prefer CLI).

   git push <remote name> --delete <branch name>
will delete the branch off of your remote.
   git branch -D <branch name>
will delete it out of your local clone
   git remote prune
will clean your local clone of its memory that there was ever a <branch name>
on the remote.

> I'm trying to avoid merging my branch with my Github fork master just to
> get the Travis-CI report.

This should happen automagically as long as the branch has the .travis.yml
file present.  If it isn't, there may be some setting that you have configured
differently from my configuration.  But it Just Worked for me when I set up
travis to access my repo.

--
Tom Russo    KM5VY
Tijeras, NM