[Xastir] Bulleting Popup

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Aug 2 15:20:26 EDT 2002

On Fri, 2 Aug 2002, Tom Robson wrote:

> I'm still a little confused over the bulletin popups.  If I have the range at
> zero (0), I get the popup properly with data.  If I reduce the the range down
> to something less than were the bulletins are coming from, I still get the
> bulletin popup with no data the next time a bulletin is generated outside of
> my range setting.  If I now go and change the range back to zero, I can see
> the bulletins which were generated outside my original range setting.
>
> Am I missing something?  I'm using the latest cvs.

Yea.  Here's the way it _really_ works:

Case #1:
You set it to zero.  The bulletin dialog pops up for each _new_
bulletin that comes in.  If a bulletin comes in that you already
received, the bulletin will not pop up.

Case #2:
You then set it for some other range, lets say 100km.  Now if a
bulletin comes in at or past that range that you haven't received
before, the dialog pops up.

If a bulletin comes in that you haven't received before, and you have
no posit yet for that station (distance is zero as far as Xastir is
concerned), the dialog also pops up.  If you receive a posit for this
station later (perhaps right after the bulletin), then the dialog
will not show this new bulletin in the dialog.  It'll appear that the
dialog popped up for no reason.  This scenario appears to happen
often when you first hook up to internet feeds.  You'll get a
bulletin and then the posit for a station, so that by the time the
dialog pops up it's empty, or it appears to at least have nothing
new in it from the last time you viewed it.

Case #3:
You have a posit already for a station and it is outside of your
range.  That station sends out a bulletin.  The dialog will _not_
pop up.

Make sense?

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer