[Xastir] xastir server. et-al

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Thu Aug 15 15:52:48 EDT 2002

On Thu, 15 Aug 2002, vic alger wrote:

> I would like to see support for what I submitted to the feature request
> #576717 submitted on 7-2-02.

Me too.  Who wants to code it?  I assume you're talking about
TigerLine data converted to Shapefile format on the local hard
drive.  You're after an easy way to select various layers and maps
for use.

> Also the map support is so good now that it's getting a little crazy to make
> different maps work indepently instead of a whole bunch loading on top of
> each other.  Correct me if I have overlooked a SIMPLE way to make it work.
> We need more map windows and not more instances of xastir running to get
> another map.

Yep.  One has to be a bit of a map expert in order to figure out
what things to select, and what not to select.  We definitely need a
better method to integrate it all.

> Messaging needs fuller support to the extent that a person can see all the
> bullitins in a seperate window accumilated over time.

I assume you didn't really mean "bulletins", 'cuz they are
accumulated over time and appear in the View->Bulletins dialog.

Yes, it would be nice if messaging had similar features so that one
could "snoop" on the goings-on during the day.  I think about this
almost every time I sit down at the RF-connected Xastir at home.

> I really don't see any
> practical use of GROUP messages.  Maybe I don't know how to use it.

I don't use this either.  It's a carry-over from the original
Xastir.  Anyone else use it, or know of the proper uses for it?

> I would also like to message log from tnc or internet.

This is relatively easy to implement.  Are you talking about a
select button in the View->Messages dialog in order to select
either/both, or are you talking about logging to disk?  The first is
a feature request.  The 2nd isn't.  Add it to the list if you want
it.

> I perfer the whole package staying together instead of having to get 12 or 20
> modules working properly.  AX25 was bad enough.

I'm thinking along the lines of one program that will allow one to
configure, start, stop, and monitor everything.  For the typical
user with perhaps one interface and a network connection the
operation wouldn't have to be much different than it currently is
starting up the monolithic version of Xastir.

Separate modules give us a lot of flexibility and the potential for
adding a tremendous amount of very cool features.  We're going to
head in that direction, it's just a matter of when and how.

Curt Mills, WE7U                         hacker.NO_*SPAM at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin