[Xastir] Maps wont display

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Tue Oct 8 12:55:57 EDT 2002

On Tue, 8 Oct 2002, [iso-8859-1] Øyvind Hanssen wrote:

> I'm a bit new to Xastir, so please excuse me if this is a silly question.

There is not such thing as a silly question.

> It looks very promising, but I can't get it to display maps. I try
> installing the current Debian version and put some maps into
> /usr/share/xastir/maps (gifs with inf files). But xastir does not seem to be
> aware of the maps. I try to open the map chooser windows, and it shows
> nothing. But the following message is printed at the console:
>
> Couldn't open file: /home/<user>/.xastir/data/sort_maps_db.dat-ptr
> Couldn't open file: /home/<user>/.xastir/data/sort_maps_db.dat

These messages show up if it can't find _any_ maps at all.  Once
you have a single map file in the proper place of any type, those
files get created and those messages disappear forever.

I'm not sure what Debian does, but the usual place to put maps for
Xastir is in /usr/local/xastir/maps.  It sounds like Debian changed
the path for some reason.

You might try changing the path to "/usr/share/xastir/maps" in the
~/.xastir/config/xastir.cnf file and see if that fixes it.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin