[Xastir] Some advice on a dedicated Xastir box please?

Pat Masterson bat at grumman.com
Tue Apr 1 13:46:33 EST 2003

On Tue, 1 Apr 2003, Neil Morris wrote:

cnmorrI've been away from Xastir for a while (though reading the list avidly).
cnmorrAlthough I have a meaty machine I could put it on I'm looking at an older
cnmorrcomputer which might make a good home for it, a PII 300 mHz with 64mb pc100.
cnmorrIt's only going to run Xastir and maybe a couple of other ham apps - is it up
cnmorrto the job? I'm thinking it is, as long as 64mb is enough - and I plan to
cnmorrstick with WindowMaker or Blackbox or some other minimal window manager.
cnmorr
cnmorrI have a choice of RedHat 7.2 or SuSE 8.0 to put on it. Which will involve
cnmorrthe least messing about to get the current cvs version working? I have a
cnmorrslight preference for RedHat but I'm comfortable with both.
cnmorr
cnmorrOpinions/advice/arguments will be gratefully received :-)

I run xastir on a P400. It was a 233 then I found another CPU. As longs
as you use a filter to keep the station list under 1000 (mine is ~600)
it will run quite fast on a 233. Before the filter, I had 8000 stations
in the list, and it would get sluggish.
 I think you might need more ram, though. Its so cheap, why not do it. I
now have 384 megs. I think any Suse is superior to any redhat, and I now
have suse 8.1 pro, and its quite stable..  -pat