[Xastir] Some advice on a dedicated Xastir box please?

Curt Mills, WE7U hacker at tc.fluke.com
Wed Apr 2 14:04:59 EST 2003

On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Bob Nielsen wrote:

> It probably can be done, with a bit of work (busybox, etc.)  PA4TU put
> together a floppy-based mini version of Linux which ran TLF
> <http://debianham.sunsite.dk) and 10 MB is a lot more space than that.
>
> My first Linux installation was an early version of Slackware on a 50
> MB partition with 12 MB RAM. I'm sure I could have made it much smaller.

Shall we go there?  386SX-20 with 2MB RAM and 100MB or so hard
drive running SLS Linux.  Slackware hadn't been invented yet.  ;-)

It would be interesting to have a floppy-based or live CDROM-based
Xastir/Linux distribution.  That could get a lot of people to try
Linux and Xastir that otherwise wouldn't.  Perhaps some other
floppy-based distribution could be tweaked to include Xastir easily
rather than starting from scratch.

This could be useful for emergency situations where you need to
bring a borrowed computer up onto APRS quickly.

Curt Mills, WE7U                    hacker_NO_SPAM_ at tc.fluke.com
Senior Methods Engineer/SysAdmin