[Xastir] Some advice on a dedicated Xastir box please?

Bob Nielsen nielsen at oz.net
Wed Apr 2 14:46:04 EST 2003

On Wed, Apr 02, 2003 at 11:04:59AM -0800, Curt Mills, WE7U wrote:
> On Wed, 2 Apr 2003, Bob Nielsen wrote:
>
> > It probably can be done, with a bit of work (busybox, etc.)  PA4TU put
> > together a floppy-based mini version of Linux which ran TLF
> > <http://debianham.sunsite.dk) and 10 MB is a lot more space than that.
> >
> > My first Linux installation was an early version of Slackware on a 50
> > MB partition with 12 MB RAM. I'm sure I could have made it much smaller.
>
> Shall we go there?  386SX-20 with 2MB RAM and 100MB or so hard
> drive running SLS Linux.  Slackware hadn't been invented yet.  ;-)

How many days did it take to compile a kernel?

I was a late adopter of Linux--not having prior Unix experience, I
waited until I retired, so I would have time to figure it out. :^)

> It would be interesting to have a floppy-based or live CDROM-based
> Xastir/Linux distribution.  That could get a lot of people to try
> Linux and Xastir that otherwise wouldn't.  Perhaps some other
> floppy-based distribution could be tweaked to include Xastir easily
> rather than starting from scratch.
>
> This could be useful for emergency situations where you need to
> bring a borrowed computer up onto APRS quickly.

I have been thinking a bit about that.  Perhaps Knoppix would be an
appropriate starting point.  You could probably fit nearly all the
available ham software onto the CD by removing some of the existing
stuff.  After I get a couple of existing projects out of the way I
might give it a shot unless someone else beats me to the punch.

It wouldn't run on a 386SX-20 with 2MB RAM, however.

Bob Nielsen, N7XY                          n7xy at n7xy.net
Bainbridge Island, WA                      http://www.n7xy.net
IOTA NA-065, USI WA-028S