[Xastir] cvs update

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Wed Apr 9 22:57:19 EDT 2003

On Wed, 9 Apr 2003, Orrin Winton wrote:

> I went ahead and downloaded using the command:
>
> cvs -z3 -d:pserver:anonymous at cvs.sourceforge.net:/cvsroot/xastir co xastir
>
> because, as i've related before, cvs update doesn't work for me (won't run).

It should.  You might have to update Cygwin.

> I then went to the directory the files downloaded to, did
> ./bootstrap.sh, and then ./configure.  After a few lines of
> output, I got the error message:
>
> checking for C compiler default output... configure: error: C compiler cannot create executables.  See config.log for more details.

I'd try updating Cygwin again.  Sometimes files can get messed up in
Cygwin, and doing an update usually fixes it so that things work
again.  I'm sure we'll learn more about it as more users get more
time in with it.

> So now i can't even compile.  I'm wondering if I should uninstall Cygwin and download it again and reinstall it.  Or what.  I am just not up to learning how to configure gcc at this point, unless it's something simple.

Just try a Cygwin network update first.  It will probably update a
few things and then quit, saving you a bunch of download time.

If that doesn't work, you might try deleting the c:\cygwin directory
and then trying a network install, using the same downloaded package
directory you used before (don't delete the uninstalled Cygwin
packages that are still on your system).  That should still save you
some time as most of the packages will just get re-installed from
your own hard drive, and only newer ones will get downloaded and
installed from the 'net.

> If i want to totally uninstall and get rid of Cygwin, (then start afresh), that should be done online, right?   Not sure.  Cygwin does not appear in XP's list of Install/Uninstall programs.

That's what I do, check the installed list first and delete from
there.  If it's not in that list, delete it manually and try it
again.

> Today myself and a buddy spent a couple hours trying to get KDE for Cygwin to run on my machine, to no avail, and we may have screwed things up royally.  Advice?

Personally I think trying to run something like KDE or Gnome under
Cygwin is a big mistake.  Run mwm or fvwm2 instead.  Cygwin already
makes things a bit slow.  Making them even slower by the use of KDE
or Gnome isn't my kind of fun.

Then again, running KDE under Windows/Cygwin might make a change to
Linux or other Unix system happen more quickly as you get tired of
the slow performance...  ;-)

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer