[Xastir] ImageMagick and ./configure

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Fri Apr 25 23:07:46 EDT 2003

On Fri, 25 Apr 2003, vic wrote:

> This is strange......
> I cannot get imagemagick to work with xastir
> Tried 4 different age or versions of (imagemagick and imagemagick-devel)
> packages and also from source tgz's.
>
> That is bad enough, BUT what is much worse, having ax25 compiled from sources,
> ( libs, tools, apps) and installed and working great,,,,when running
> ./configure on xastir the executable "ImageMagick-config" in /usr/bin somehow
> interfers with configure, or the other way around and blows out the ax25
> stuff.
>
> In other words ,  when ./configure finds ImageMagick-config file and says
> "yes",,, in the next few lines ./configure says ax25_config_load_ports in
> -Lax25... no !!!!
>
> remove, rename, make unexecutable the file ImageMagick-config and not do
> anything else to any file in the system, then  ax25_config_load_ports in
> -Lax25... yes   ax25 then works in the compiled version. otherwise ax25 is'nt
> even compiled into xastir..
>
> This is 100% reproducable on my system ....
>
> Running  Mandrake 9.0
>
> Anybody have any hints to both problems???

I'm not a Mandrake user, so can't comment on the ImageMagick
problem.

With respect to the configure problem, Jack or Chuck might want to
take a look at that problem.

> Also on the processer usage, it's in the main thread, as far as I can tell and
> the internet links is 52k dialup with the map zoomed in to where the 10 mile
> range marker shows up....

This is probably the setup where you get 1000's of stations and
Xastir spends a large portion of its time looking up the stations in
the station linked-list to update or display them, instead of doing
real work or sleeping.

Xastir-2 will fix this little problem by removing the linked-list
and switching to a database back-end.  That means it's not worth
fixing right now, if that's the type of problem that you're having.
Make sense?

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer