[Xastir] time line of events up to getting xastir to use imagemagick and ax25 with no complaints

Jack Twilley jmt at twilley.org
Wed Apr 30 13:23:21 EDT 2003

>>>>> "Curt" == Curt Mills <Curt> writes:

Jack> This is probably more than you want or needed to know, but I
Jack> find it interesting that installing imagemagick before
Jack> downloading a totally fresh source tree for xastir, did the
Jack> trick... not just a cvs update but totally new...

Curt> That level of detail may help Jack/Chuck/myself figure out where
Curt> the problem lies.  Thanks.

Something like this happened to me, and I solved it by blowing away
the entire tree and starting from scratch.  Some file was left behind
mucking up the works, but I don't know which one.

>> I do not know the overall stratigy in development so work arounds
>> like this may be okay for awhile..

Curt> The overall strategy is to keep moving on.  Jack is working on
Curt> integrating GDAL support into Xastir.  Once that is done, some
Curt> of our other optional libraries will disappear, and the whole
Curt> process may be greatly simplified.  I'm not sure yet whether
Curt> that will allow us to get rid of ImageMagick as well, but Jack
Curt> may have something to say on this.

A lot of it depends on exactly what we use ImageMagick for.  If we
only use it for maps that are GIFs, TIFFs, GeoTiffs, JPEGs, and
JPEG2k's as well as manipulating PNGs, PPMs, PGMs, and XPMs, then GDAL
will definitely replace it.  GDAL also supports Oracle and PostgreSQL.

Curt> If I remember correctly what Jack has said, it'll get rid of our
Curt> dependencies on Shapelib, libproj, and libgeotiff for starters.
Curt> Simpler is definitely better.

I should be done with my testing soon, and I should be able to
integrate my code into the source tree after the code thaw.

Jack.
--
Jack Twilley
jmt at twilley dot org