[Xastir] Net Data from K3JZ

Curt Mills, WE7U archer at eskimo.com
Mon Feb 17 16:51:42 EST 2003

On Mon, 17 Feb 2003, Tom Robson wrote:

> Wonder if anyone else is seeing this.  I am connected up to the net
> continuously and am using the aprs 14580 filter and it works perfectly. I
> have been seeing stuff which is outside the filter parameters and it appears
> to be coming in directly over the net.  I have had the net interface disabled
> and there are still many stations showing up coming from the net.  The
> 'select tnc' is also turned off.
>
> All of the stations which are showing up are coming through TCPIP,K3JZ*.
> This station is in the Seattle area called NETACTIVE.  The majority of the
> stations which are showing up are in the Eastern USA.
>
> Any ideas? (Thought I better ask the xastir crew before the user).

This is normal operation for igates other than Xastir igates:  If any
local station is messaging to some station elsewhere (reachable via
igate), then a posit for the remote station is broadcast over local
RF as well.

I don't personally like that sort of operation, but that's what most
igates currently do.

Xastir just sends the messages back and forth, it doesn't broadcast a
position for the remote station on local RF.

Curt, WE7U.				archer at eskimo.com
http://www.eskimo.com/~archer