[Xastir] UGH!!! Shapefiles?

Reuven Z Gevaryahu gevaryah at netaxs.com
Thu Jan 9 16:27:30 EST 2003

Robert Grattan wrote:
> I'm having the same sort of problem (among other things) and tried Reuven's suggested test of "whatever.c"
> Here's what I got:
>
> [root at pye root]# gcc whatever.c -o whatever -lshp
> /usr/bin/ld: cannot find -lshp
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
>
> Bob

The reply as I sent to Scott:

So this means the linker isn't finding libshp- things to look at:

When you installed shapelib, did you do "make lib" and "make
lib_install" as suggested in README.1ST? (*)

Did you run ldconfig afterwords?

I'm assuming you used the default location...

What does "ls -l /usr/local/lib/libshp*" show?

Is "/usr/local/lib" in /etc/ld.so.conf?

(*) If you're having trouble building libshp, I'm currently looking into
how the shapefile library is built. I'll echo Scott's observation that
the library and associated tools are poorly documented; when I was
writing the build instructions for our README.1ST I had to read the
Makefile myself. :) You might want to try Scott's solution of deleting
what you have and starting from scratch.

--Reuven (KB3EHW)