[Xastir] UGH!!! Shapefiles?

Scott Clark scott.clark at sitel.com
Thu Jan 9 16:08:12 EST 2003

I can't get any of the below to work.  Not being a C programmer, I can't
confirm the test program below.  I've now installed three different RPMs of
Shapelib, as well as compiling from source.

I am *unable* to get Shapelib to compile per the README.1ST instructions.
There are four lines, and my attempt fails at line 1:  "make lib."    The
message ends with "./libtool:  No Such File or Directory."  So, it's looking
for libtool which isn't there...? I can issue a "make" and it creates new
executables and .o files, of course it puts them in the local directory
(wrong place).  What about the scripts that come with Shapelib?  there's a
mkinstalldirs.sh, makeshape.sh, stream1.sh and a few others.  No
documentation to support ANY of this (I realize this isn't part of xastir)?
Evidently we've found my problem...

still searching though!

The test for shapelib used by configure is rather simple, you can
duplicate the test:

create a file called whatever.c

char DBFOpen();
int main() {
DBFOpen();
return 0; }

and do "gcc whatever.c -o whatever -lshp"

If that fails to compile or link, correct the problem: DBFOpen is a
function defined in shapelib, and if -lshp isn't causing shapelib to be
linked for whatever reason, the configure script is correct in not using
it. If you give us any error generated by this simple test program,
perhaps I could help more.

--Reuven (KB3EHW)